A snipe tells how he spent the winter in Sri Lanka

Last winter I wanted to go to a far away country to get away from the hard winter season in my country. I thought of various places. I always wanted to go to a place where I could enjoy my holiday. Meanwhile I met a friend who had visited a bird sanctuary in Sri Lanka. He told everything about the facilities there. He told me about the lagoon by the sanctuary.


Thereafter I realllly wanted to visit the bird sanctuary Kumana in Sri Lanka. As the last winter season came I left my country Siberia.

As you know we Snipers don't stop on the way to rest. We don't like to waste our time. I flew straight to the bird sanctuary Kumana in Sri Lanka.

After three days marothen flight I stopped on a big tree near the lagoon. I rested for few hours. After that I started seeing in and around Kumana.

You won't believe but I was surprised to see thhhhousands of birds there. There were indigenous birds as well as migrant birds like myself. After little chats with some birds I come to know that they were regular visitors to Kumana.

Tern, sandpiper, plover duck are some of the migrant birds thet I met. There were many indigenous birds too. Among them, there were herons, storks, egrets and spoonbills. I also saw that water hens, purple coot and many other aquatic birds had built their nests on the swamp.

Although I have visited many bird paradises in the world, I had never visited a place like Kumana. Kumana is a real paradise for we birds.

How ever, I didn't feel time passing. By the end of last March I had to leave Kumana. Aithough I felt very sad to leave Kumana. I had to. On the last day of March I started flying back home. I always feel like going back to Kumana. Yes, even in the next season, I will travel to Kumana. I can't  really forget that beautiful land.





Previous Post
First
Related Posts